Monday, January 15, 2007

Chakkera Pongali and Pulihora

[ Chakkera Pongali:

*Rice - 1 glass
*Mung Dal - 2 tbsp (roasted lightly)
*Water - 3 glasses

Cook these in pressure cooker until soft.

Fry Cashews, Sultanas, Coconut flakes in Ghee and add it to above along with Cardamom Powder.

Do sugar syrup - u need for every 1 glass of rice add 1 and 1/2 glasses of sugar. add small amount of water to sugar and cook until the sugar is slightly sticky.

Add this sugar syrup to the pressure cooked rice and mix well and switch off. ]




[ Aava pettina Pulihora/ Tamarind Rice with Mustard Twist:

*Rice - 3 rice cups (preferably ponni rice or any white rice but not basmati)
*Water - 6 and 1/2 rice cups
*Turmeric - 3/4 th - 1 tsp

Cook these in electric cooker before hand.

*Tamarind - 2 big lemon size

Soak tamarind in water (just to the level of tamarind) overnight. In the morning take out pulp
as much as u can from the tamarind. Add this tamarind juice in a small skillet and cook it until water evaporates on very low heat. Keep stirring and keep the lid ajar. Cool this mixture and keep aside.

For seasoning:

Oil - 6 - 7 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Peanuts - 2 handful
Chana Dal - 4 tsp
Urad Dal - 2 tsp
Red Chillies - 10 no. (split)
Green Chillies - 10 no. (cut length ways)
Curryleaves - 3 sprigs
Ginger - 1 inch (cut finely)
Asaefoetida (hing)- a pinch

My secret formula for pulihora:

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp, powder this in pestle and add 1 no.lemon juice to it and keep a side.

Proceed:

1) Add Rice in a big wide bowl, remove any lumps which may form by separating it with your fingers.

2) Add cooked Tamarind paste to the rice and mix (be careful while adding this u can still add a bit later too)

3) Do seasoning in the order given under seasoning ingredients and once finished, add this seasoning to point 1, along with secret mix which I mentioned and salt to taste and mix everything well. Check for salt and tartness.

For serving:

You can serve it with Bangaladumpa vepudu or Potato fry (Indian style) and yoghurt on side, I eat just as it is. Good for picnic, train journey, festivals and for those unexpected guests.

Meanings:

Aava = Mustard paste
Pulihora = Tamarind Rice ]

Chakkera = Sugar

© 2009 by Rajani Rayudu

27 comments:

USHA said...

Hi,

This is my first visit here,you got wonderful collection of receipes.I liked all rangoli pictures...

Happy Pongal....

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Usha
Welcome to my blog. Hope u try my recipes and do let me know how it turned out for u. Me too, what a wonderful array of colors isn't it.

Happy pongal to u too.
cheers
rajani

Anonymous said...

Its very nice.. i enjoyed it really..

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thanks for letting me know.

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

hi,
this is kartheek, its my first visit,n i try "chekkara pongali" in my room,its very nice,,,i n my frends enjoyed a lot,,,,,,,my home town is kakinada,,,,,presently i'm staying in hyderabad,,,,than q very much rajani,,,IN ADVANCE HAPPY NEW YEAR & PONGAL,,,,

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Kartheek,
Chala santoshem, meeru chesinde kakunda meeru friends ki koda chesi pettatem. Well done. Happy New Year to u too and advance wishes for Sankranti too.

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

Hi Rajani,

Thanks for sharing. Pulihora chesanu. Taste chala bagundi. Ithara vantakalu kuda try chesanu. Recipes chala bagunnayi. Hope we see more receips from you in future as well.

Thanks,
Krishna

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Krishna,

Chala thanks for posting your feed back. Hope so too!

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

hi..Rajani

Was searching for a recipe of aava pettina pulihora..and the one posted by you sounds extremely delicious..shall try out and post a feedback..thanks..you are doing a wonderful job on your blog and also helping out with others too (had seen Preethi's blog ) Cheers!!! keep up the good work.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Satya,

Aava pettina pulihora it is my favourite. Do try it and let me know thanks.

cheers
rajani

sravvyraj said...

hi....
rajani....mee recipes anni chala baguntai...nenu try chesanu...meeru newzealand lo undi kuda mana vantakalu chaala baga chepthunnaru thanx 4 dat nenu singapore lo untanu...vanta daggara chala prblm vasthundedi but now its very 5n bcoz of u....thank u very much rajani...happy new year n happy sankranthi in advance.....:-)

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sravy,

Thanks for your comments. I am glad I am able to help you............keep visiting and thanks for your advance wishes.

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

hai rajani

i am rajeswari, i tried your avapettina pulihora myself and my family members enjoyed a lot its really very nice

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Rajeswari,

I am glad you and your family liked a lot. Thanks for your feedback!!

cheers
rajani

Venkat Rama Reddy said...

Hi, your recipes are good. But unfortunately are in english. For me its no problem. But for those who dont know language, they will face problems even you're having good recipes. So, please try to post in telugu and hindi languages. I'll be with you............go on..............

sushma said...

Hello,

nice collection of recipes...
i tried chakkera pongali in home and got many complements..
thank you for the collection.
happy dasara.

namaste.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for your concern. If I have option like that I would add the script in my blog.

Hi Sushma,

Thanks for trying it out on festival day and leaving your feed back. I am glad you and your friends liked the dish.

cheers
rajani

Anonymous said...

Hi Rajani,
I am so glad i happend to see your blog while browsing. I am going to try this tamarind rice recipe soon. Thanks to you.

Cheers,
Preethy.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Preethy,

do let me know how it turned out.

cheers
rajani

suniti said...

your Prasadam recipes are so wonderful and authentic.
Makes work easy for us on a hectic day.
thanks

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sunit.

Thanks for your lovely comment. I am glad you like it.

cheers
rajani

srini said...

Good to see the article. As per my understanding Aava pettina

For pulihora, seasoning with ava is quite common. but getting the real ava pettina pulihora process is different as per my understanding. Vishanulu mastered the process, any one can guide on this.

Thanks,
Srini

Sandhya Reddy said...

My son introduced me to your blog. Just went through some of the recipes.Truly seems like amma's vanta. I am going to try some of them very soon. Thanks for the noru oorinche pictures
sandy

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Srini,

hope some one answers to your query or just drop me if you find the answer you are looking for.

cheers
rajani

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sandhya,

thanks for your lovely comments about my blog and your son too for introducing my space to you.

Keep visiting.

cheers
rajani

SreeNivas said...

Aava pettina pulihora is a well known in Andhra especially in Kakinada and around regions. Rajani, you presented it really well. My special appreciation on your blog: Mana vantakaalani andariki parichayam chestunnanduku chaala thanks.

Sandhya said...

Hi Rajini,
New to your blog. The chekkara pongal is yummy. I added some pachcha karpuram before serving - just a really small pinch. It gives it the temple taste.

Sandhya