Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Experiment Food

Kantola Fry, Tomato Rasam and Dondakayi Pappu

I made Dondakayi pappu. Have you heard that before? not me. I know about Dondakayi fry and few bits added in sambhar or veggie biriyani or just making stuffed dondakayi. I know lots of Indians who believe that eating dondakayi will dull the memory. Yeah right.. I love dondakayi in any form, even if you give me just the curry I will be happy to eat it. So when I saw this recipe blogged by Indira from 'Mahanandi', I thought "aaha thats creative !". Isn't she ? Give some thing to her and she will come up with a tasty version and say "tadaa !!"and our eyes will sparkle. oh my my !

I served this dish with Tomato rasam by Prema Sundar from " My cook book" . I know its just rasam but with lots of tomatoes cooked in a different way. I prepared this rasam twice till now. You might have guessed it, it tastes awesome and never fails me. When you are in a hurry and want to eat something, just keep the rasam on one burner and the curry on another. No need to worry !

I know by now you are wondering "what are these.. they just look like dried sliced lemons, boo hoo !!". Nope, they are Kantola, yeah I know.. never heard these before ! I bought these in frozen section of Indian groceries. My husband insisted to buy them but I worried a bit about how to cook them. My angel 'google' came in handy.

I went to this site called Mangalore world. The name Mangalore caught my eye and I got the recipe. Just followed the recipe exactly. It was awesome. I thought "just don't eat any potato chips, instead eat these. They just melts in mouth". I am definitely going to make these again and again.

I am giving u this recipe - first saying thanks to Mangalore world. Thank u thank u .....so here goes

1 packet of frozen Kantola (packet weighed 340g) washed in warm water. Rub the kantola with your fingers for the seeds to separate. Seperate the kantolas from the seeds and discard . Remember, you are throwing away seeds, not outer skin. Squeeze the water from kantolas and add 1tsp turmeric powder, 3tspns of chillipowder and salt to taste mix these.Roll these in rice flour and deep fry in oil. Drain it on paper-towel. Serve with Dondakayi pappu, Tomato rasam and Rice on side.

A big thank you to Indira, Prema sundar, Mangalore world and my Husband ofcourse.

In Telugu:

Kantola = Akakarakaya

© 2006 by Rajani Rayudu

5 comments:

Lakshmik said...

Hi Rajani

I have heard of dondakkaya chutney too, but not pappu. Will try it out. Nice try.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Lakshmik

I liked pappu version too Lakshmi. Didn't do any chutney with it though. Sure is a winner, people who don't know what the dal is made up off they will mistakenly think gosh she added lots of green chillies in it and will surpise them and have a laugh.

cheers
Rajani Rayudu

Indira said...

Hi Rajani,

Pappu, a curry and rasam, that's one happy meal.:)

I am glad to hear that you tried and liked the recipe. Also many thanks for your nice words about Mahanandi. Appreciate it.

I have to buy these Kantola from frozen section. Looks like a very tasry curry.

I liked the Amma cheppindi title and the drawing on the side of your blog. Did you draw it, Rajani? Very cute.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Indira garu

Thank you very much and for the recipe. I am glad you liked my blog title and the drawing beside it. I did draw. I think the drawing says it all about my title for the blog.

Kantola do try them Indira I know you will like it and please do tell how it went.

cheers
Rajani Rayudu

Indira said...

Really cute and pretty! You have a gift and I look forward to seeing more such drawings accompanying the recipes on your blog.